Aging is a natural part of life, and for many older adults, their golden years are their best yet. And while many things become different as the years pass by, different is not, by definition, good or bad. One of the differences that comes with age and wisdom is a different approach to decision-making. In general, as we age, people tend to:
· Draw on prior experience to make decisions
· Take fewer risks when making changes
· Make decisions more quickly
When should I think about moving to a senior community? When is it time for assisted living? How do I stay healthy as I age? These are some of the most common questions to ask in older adulthood, and knowing the answers can help ensure all transitions are happy and healthy.
Moving to a Senior Community
Moving to a senior community is one of the most pivotal, emotional and complicated discussions for seniors and their families. And, while moving to a senior community may bring up some hesitation for some seniors, others are excited by the opportunity. For seniors with concerns, they often bring up:
· Loss of independence
· Separation from family
For families discussing the idea of moving to a community, it can be helpful to explain that most senior living communities encourage independence! Also, many exceptional senior living communities, like Mount Prospect Senior Living, include family members as much as possible and actually create more opportunities for seniors to enjoy social activities and programs than seniors who live alone.
When Is It Time for Assisted Living?
So, when is it time for assisted living? This answer can vary from person to person, family to family. For some families, it takes an accident at home to begin a conversation about moving to a senior community. For others, it is a proactive discussion about the future and what their loved one wants their golden years to look like. If a senior and their family are not sure the time is right for moving into senior living, here are some signs it is time for assisted living:
- The older adult needs reminders to take medication
- The risk of falls has increased
- There is a loss of interest in outside activities and household maintenance is ignored
- The older adult is becoming aggressive or frightened about changes in abilities
- There are signs the older adult’s health is changing
- There are increased risks for the senior leaving the house alone
- In-home costs are prohibitive
At Mount Prospect, assisted living is built on the idea that our residents should create the lives they want and remain as independent as possible. From daily support with the activities of daily living to weekly linen, housekeeping and laundry service, every resident is able to spend less effort on time-consuming tasks and household chores. That means there is more room for each resident to pursue their passions, more time for family and friends and more joy in each and every day. After moving to senior living at Mount Prospect, residents also enjoy:
- Beauty Salon. No need for an outside appointment – our beauty shop is a one-stop destination for your haircutting, styling and primping needs.
- Wrigley’s Bistro. When a resident feels hungry, but doesn’t feel like a sit-down, restaurant-style dining experience, Wrigley’s is the answer. Grab a meal or beverage to go and get on with your day.
- Dog Park and Private Gardens and Trails. Treat yourself and your furry friend to a lovely walk in our well-maintained, serene outdoor spaces.
About Mount Prospect Senior Living
Assisted living at Mount Prospect Senior Living provides a unique environment focused on independence, caregiver support, enriching activities and community services to help our residents create the life they want on their aging journey. Our goal is to offer an engaging and individual experience for each senior, creating new adventures and offering new ways to enjoy life each day. From Elevate® dining to our spacious common areas, local transportation and weekly linen, laundry and housekeeping services, we are here to support our residents!
Interested in learning more about Mount Prospect? Contact us today with questions or to schedule a tour!