Moving is often considered one of life’s largest stressors. While any move can bring headaches, a move from an independent home into a senior living community comes with its own unique challenges. By the time you reach your golden years, it is common for your home to be filled to the brim with keepsakes, photos, long-loved furniture and boxes of memories. It can be difficult to know where to start when you are facing a move.
For seniors and their families, having a list of simple steps to follow can make the moving process much easier. An assisted living move-in checklist is just the tool to help you prepare for your next chapter.
Downsizing Checklist for Seniors
Here is our downsizing checklist for seniors, full of tips and tricks to keep the process easy and stress free:
- Take Your Time. You spent a lifetime collecting these items, so don’t be in a rush to discard anything. Go slowly and be sure of your choices.
- Kick the Clutter. Things that hold no attachment, items where you have duplicates or things you no longer use are an easy first category of things to donate, toss or pass on.
- Consider Donating. You do not need to sell or hand down all the items you do not plan to keep. There are many organizations that will come pick up items for donation at no cost!
- Take Photos. If you like the way you have your home decorated – take pictures. This can help you recreate your unique look when you are ready.
- Understand Your New Space. Be sure you understand what you will need in your new home and what will be provided. This can help make decisions much easier.
- Hold Your Memories Close. There are lots of ways to hold on to items that have your special memories. There are memory boxes, small in-house storage units and even larger, off-site storage facilities you can pay to house your things.
Assisted Living Move-In Checklist
The process of moving elderly parents usually requires several months of preparation. Be sure to use a layout of the new living space when considering what items will fit and where they will go. Ask the community leaders about resources, activities and amenities to ensure you pack all the things you need. Most senior living communities, like Mount Prospect Senior Living, will have many spaces and activities tailored to meet the needs of your loved one. So, understanding the environment at the community is critical. Questions like these will help ensure you get the information you need:
- Will my loved one have a kitchen?
- Is there laundry and linen service offered?
- What is the square footage of the living space?
- Is any furniture provided?
- What on-site activities, such as swimming or hiking, can my loved one enjoy?
- What kitchen, coffee and snack items are available in the common spaces?
Once you have a plan for downsizing, it is time to get specific. Here is an assisted living move-in checklist to get you started:
- Jackets and umbrella
- Robe and slippers
- Financial and/or legal paperwork
- Jewelry or watch
- Photos and keepsakes
- Glasses or hearing aids
- Cane or walker
- Purse or wallet
- Bed and linens
- Chairs or recliner
- Table and chairs
- Computer or tablet
- Games or puzzles
- Craft or hobby supplies
- Playing cards
- Outdoor sports equipment
- Exercise equipment
- Wall art
- Kitchen supplies
- Coffee maker
- Broom and dustpan
- Paper towels, kitchen towels
- Pet supplies
At Mount Prospect Senior Living, we want our residents to feel at home. Our community is designed with active, engaged seniors in mind. Our residents enjoy their independence while knowing our expertly trained staff is there for support. The Mount Prospect team utilizes the innovative Vibrant Life program to allow residents to create their day in any way they like. The program challenges and inspires residents, encouraging new adventures and making suggestions based on your interests and physical abilities. We offer assisted living and memory care apartments to fit every need and our team is here to help you make your new space into a new home!
Want to learn more about our community and services? Contact Mount Prospect Senior Living today to have your questions answered and to schedule a private tour!